Oregon AFL-CIO Weekly Update: Stop the GOP Tax Plan
November 29, 2017
Stop the GOP Tax Plan
The Trump administration and Republicans in the Senate want to pay for expensive tax breaks to millionaires and big corporations by cutting vital services working people depend on like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and public education. Working people should not be stuck with the bill for tax giveaways to people who don’t need them. Make a call to urge our elected leaders to reject any budget package that makes drastic cuts that hurt working people to pay for wasteful tax giveaways for the rich and corporations. Economic and tax experts are weighing in on how dangerous this could be for working people, click here to read what they are saying.
Thankfully, Oregon’s Senators Wyden and Merkley stand with us against this dangerous tax plan. But we cannot sit by and watch this happen. Here are some sample posts for social media to help you spread the word to your friends and family around the country:
Sample Twitter posts
- FACT: GOP tax plan is a job killer. Call your senators at 844-899-9913 and tell them to oppose it. #GOPTaxPlan
- Take action to stop Congress from raising taxes to pay for huge giveaways on the backs of working people: Call your senators at 844-899-9913. #GOPTaxPlan
- Say NO to devastating cuts to Medicare, Medicaid & Social Security to fund a tax giveaway to the wealthy! Tell your senator to oppose the #GOPTaxPlan at 844-899-9913.
- Huge corporations should NOT be rewarded for outsourcing American jobs. Make a call now to your senators and oppose the #GOPTaxPlan at 844-899-9913.
Sample Facebook post
- The Trump administration and Senate Republicans want to pay for expensive tax breaks to millionaires and big corporations by cutting the vital services working people depend on like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and public education. Don't let them.
Graphics to share
Join Us at Measure 101 Kickoffs
in Eugene & Portland
Your income shouldn’t determine whether you can visit a doctor or nurse, or get medicine when you’re sick. Measure 101 protects healthcare for vulnerable Oregonians, including seniors, people with disabilities, and 400,000 children. That’s why the Oregon AFL-CIO and unions across the state are endorsing a YES vote on Measure 101 this January.
Getting out the word about Measure 101 is critical. Please join us and other supporters to help spread the word about Measure 101:
Yes on 101 Eugene Kick-Off and Canvass
Sunday, December 3rd 12:00PM
125 E 8th Ave, Eugene, OR 97401
Yes on 101 Portland Kick-Off and Canvass
Sunday, December 3 from 12:00-4:00PM
Oregon AFL-CIO (3645 SE 32nd Ave, Portland, OR 97202).
Here’s why encouraging Oregonians to vote YES on Measure 101 is so important:
- 1 million Oregonians (that’s 1 in 4 Oregonians) depends on the Oregon Health Plan. Measure 101 guarantees that our friends and neighbors who rely on OHP won’t lose their coverage.
- 400,000 Oregon children rely on the Oregon Health Plan to grow up healthy. With Measure 101, families don’t have to worry that their children could lose their coverage.
- Measure 101 stabilizes insurance marketplaces and premiums. It will save working people and our families who buy their own insurance an average of $300 a year in insurance premiums!
Tearing Families Apart
This article appears courtesy of the AFL-CIO Blog
This week, the Trump administration made the cruel announcement that it will strip away rights and work permits from 50,000 men and women from Haiti by ending their Temporary Protected Status. UNITE HERE member Marie Parfait is one of the tens of thousands of Haitian immigrants who will be facing deportation in 18 months—even though she and others have been living and working here legally for nearly a decade.
TPS was created to protect people who are unable to return to countries experiencing crises such as war, natural disaster or ongoing violence. It helps prevent hardworking people from returning to conditions that could cost them their lives. In the case of Haiti, TPS status was granted after a devastating earthquake in 2010, and the island nation has since been hit by more than one Category 4 hurricane and a cholera epidemic that sickened nearly 1 million people.
Labor unions are making a strong statement that people who have lived here for decades and played by the rules should not be sent back to harm’s way and instead should be offered a well-earned path to legalization and citizenship. Our entire workforce will suffer if immigrant working people are stripped of their rights and status. Congress is considering legislation (H.R. 4253 and S. 2144) that would provide a solution; they need to hear from you to make it happen.
The ability to exploit any person undermines standards for us all. TPS is a crucial program that provides work permits, allowing people to stand up for their rights on the job instead of living in the shadows. TPS holders are members of our families, our unions and our communities who have made positive contributions to our society for many years.
Make a call now to ask your Representative to protect TPS.
Click here to find your Representative’s phone number.